Monday, October 8, 2012

Sew Colette 2.0: Peony Inspiration



Peony is such a beautiful and versatile pattern.  It invites inspiration from its classic shape and cut.  The bateau neckline frames the neck and shoulders making it especially flattering to wear.  I found inspiration for my Peony quite quickly in the form of the  Duchess of Cambridge's beautiful lace embroidered bateau neck dress worn for her South East Asian tour. The classic lines of the Duchess' dress reminded me instantly of Peony and I immediately pinned it to my Fantastic Frocks board, knowing that I wanted to make my own version for SC2.0.

The Duchess suits romantic fashions, especially when they are done in ethereal colours and materials.  A closer look at this lovely dress reveals that it is most likely made from ice blue silk with a white lace and embroidered overlay.   It was designed by Alice Temperley and more than likely created as a couture piece for the Duchess.





As much as I would love to copy the dress fabrics exactly, availability, practicality, and budget require me to put on my creative hat and dream up a version that suits me.

I do love the beautiful lace 3/4 sleeves and will be including them in my version.  Silk is such a gorgeous fabric but not altogether practical in my wardrobe.  A lovely cotton or cotton/silk blend is what I'm looking for in either an icy blue or icy turquoise. There's a terrific independent fabric shop on Ottawa Street that has a fantastic array of laces available, many at 60" wide.  I am hoping to find a lovely floral version that closely resembles the Duchess' dress.

What inspiration(s) are behind your Peony dress?

* * * * *

The Peony project schedule is as follows:

Week of October 1st: Sew-Along Kick-Off (Muslins, measurements, etc)
Week of October 8th: Fabulous Fit
Week of October 15th: It's All About Fabric!
Weeks of October 22nd - 31st: Be Our Guest
Week of November 5th: Peony Parade - be sure to upload your finished dress into the sew-along Flickr group!

10 comments:

sewbusylizzy said...

Oh my goodness I want this sooo bad it hurts...
I've already got two versions planned... do I need a third?

Evie Jones said...

This is going to be a lovely version of Peony. Can't wait.

LittleChicken said...

Beautiful dress, great Peony inspiration!

sara said...

That lace isn't just embroidered with flowers and leaves, but also bugs. Check out the side bust in the 2nd photo.

Jen O said...

This will be a lovely dress to create--looking forward to seeing the progress!

gingermakes said...

Gosh, I can't wait to see your Peony! It's going to be brilliant!

velosewer said...

I've been checking out laces for weeks. This is a lovely version.

poppykettle said...

It IS a stunning dress - helped by the use of gorgeous fabrics!! Couldn't agree more that this would be a fabulous inspiration piece for a peony. Me? I'm actually using a picture of peonies I have as my inspiration... my fabric is a water colour floral of peonies and a few other flower types!

Meg the Grand said...

This would stunning on you :) Definitely a fabulous inspiration piece!

angie.a said...

Lord, she is gorgeous, isn't she? She has the best style. I am in LOVE with this dress!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...