Thursday, September 6, 2012

52 Dresses Project


Today is my birthday, which means it's the perfect time to share my completely self-indulgent sewing project with you.  It's no secret that I have a huge love of dresses.  Anyone who follows my Fantastic Frocks board knows that it's the one that is most frequently updated.   I have lots of favourites, including ModCloth and Tess Designs, as well as creations from other fancy frock ladies.

Source: modcloth.com via Sarah on Pinterest


One evening, after a very successful sewing session, I remarked to Mr. Gilbert that I wanted to have 52 dresses, simply because it was the silliest number I could think of and having that many to choose from would be blissful!  Being the unflappable gentleman he is, he simply turned to me with a smile and said: "Go for it, honey!" So, I'm going for it.

Source: modcloth.com via Sarah on Pinterest


Owning 52 dresses may seem rather hypocritical, given my love of handmade and slow-fashion; however,  I am not relying on 'instant clothing' purchases, but rather making my own garments using my existing fabric and pattern stash.  I really haven't shared photos of my stash lately, but believe me when I say I'm well set up for several dresses!

Source: jpeterman.com via Sarah on Pinterest


I've always loved a good dress: sheath style or full-on fluffy full skirt with a vintage twist are my favourites.  Savvy and stylish bloggers, such as Roisin, and Cassie (and way too many others to name), have really fuelled my desire to get this project off the ground.  Their creations consistently find me staring at my computer with my mouth open.  Always a lady, no?




I may even take the leap into outfit posts, if I can figure out my tripod.  Thank goodness I work with scientists, or I may really be stuck! I figure if I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and end up having 52 dresses, I may as well come clean about my love of shoes, purses, and hair accessories, right?


Source: modcloth.com via Sarah on Pinterest


My first order of business?  Find out exactly how many dresses I own already (handmade v purchased) and devise an evil sewing plan! Mwah ha ha!




(PS: Wait till you see what Roisin and I have been up to! )

23 comments:

Roisin Muldoon said...

Yay! 52 seems like a totally modest and reasonable amount to me. My number is shameful ;) I really really love that Modcloth dress with the glasses on it - I have to find some fabric like that! Can't wait to see what you get up to in your dress quest dear Sarah xxx

Tors said...

Penblwydd Hapus lovely lady! Hope you have an amazing day! And I think 52 dresses is a great idea, one for every week of the year, fabulous!

Evie Jones said...

What a splendid plan! What a lovely husband.

ingemaakt said...

Happy birthday and goodluck with your dresses, seems like a fun project!

Colleen said...

I'm so excited for your plan and can't wait to follow along!

Kimbersew said...

Happy Birthday!

Rochelle New said...

Happy Birthday, Darling!!! I don't think 52 dresses is too much to ask for ;)

Debi said...

Happy Birthday!!!! What a brilliant plan! I LOVE it!!!

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

Happy birthday! I think you can make a dress a week!

Sølvi said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you´ll get to wear at least one gorgeous dress today. Go for it! 52 is totally doable if you have the closet space for it! :-)

Have a fantastic day!

johanna said...

Happee Burthday! :)

Miss Crayola Creepy said...

Happy birthday!!!! xo!

I like this project idea!

Renata said...

Happy B-Day :)and wishing you a great day. Hope the 52 dress project turns out as wonderful as you planned it. The dresses on the post are inspiring. I just found your blog and tempted to take the Franken Pattern Pledge. I have so many Burda patterns, read tons of sewing blogs, facebook, tweet and pin fashion.

velosewer said...

Happy Birthday. I love dresses so 52 sounds like the perfect number.

Cassie Stephens said...

This makes me wanna go count my dresses...I started wearing dresses (and skirts) only a couple years ago. Pants just don't seem to look as flattering on me. I'm thrilled to be considered among the stylish. I def think you need to do outfit posts! Super fun and easy...even when you feel totally cheesey ;) happy birthday!! ...Cassie

BusyLizzie said...

Happy birthday!! Wow 52 dresses - do have space to store this many? What a fun plan, especially if you have the life where you can wear them all the time. I look forward to seeing them as they come to fruition!

Juliet said...

Happy Birthday! And go for it! Looking forward to each and every one :)

Macska said...

Brilliant plan! Don't suppose you feel like setting it up as a challenge type thing, do you? Coz I'd be very keen to sew along with you! ;-)

Also - happy birthday! Hope you had a super awesome fabulous day.

ckh said...

Happy Birthday! I like your idea. :)

AngelatheCreativeDiva said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! I love the idea of this project. I look forward to seeing your beautiful creations.

Shelley Hesson said...

Happy Belated Birthday. Great project idea. Have fun and you know we're all looking forward to your creations.

Alessa said...

Happy belated birthday! That sounds like an ambitious and wonderful project! (I've been in love with the eyeglass dress for ages, btw.). Happy counting, planning & sewing!

murfomurf said...

Having gone through countless years with countless goals, I'm afraid to set any more! Honestly- I think 52 dresses would be a great goal, but not for me. For you, it sounds wonderful and do-able. For me: one homemade dress completed over this summer will have to be it. And I need encouragement even for that.